Automatically open documents in new tab

13.01.2016, 12:15

Hi There

Is there any way to set an option in MAX QDA to auto open documents in a new tab of the document browser, instead of replacing the currently open document. Many times a day I open a document and then loose my current position in an active document because of the current system.

Kind regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

Re: Automatically open documents in new tab

14.01.2016, 09:34

Hi Peter,

there is no default option to open document in new tab automatically. If you hold Shift key while opening a document the document will be opened, but this won't help for opening a document, when investigation the "Overview of coded segments" or the "Lexical search results".

Maybe it would help if you give some more details about the issue with loosing the scroll position?
- In which kind of documents do you loose the current position?
- Can you reproduce it?
Usually MAXQDA opens a document at the position last displayed. This only works if the Document Browser is not changed in width.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

14.01.2016, 10:19

Hi Stefan

I apologize I did not express my self precisly enough. I am not losing my position inside the document, but rather "losing" the document I was working on before. Once I click on a document in the Document system, Max QDA switches to this document with no option(?) of going back to the document I was working on. This is especially frustrating if one is working on many documents in the document browser, as I do not always recall what the title of the document I was reading was, e.g. working with several pdf's from one author.
Opening a new document does not mean I am done with the current document :wink:

Kind regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

14.01.2016, 10:28

Hi Peter,

so you are looking for the option like "arrow left" in an internet browser.
We have added this to our feature request list, as there is no such option yet avaialable.

The only idea is that you give the document you are working on a color, but this may be a little bit circumstantial.

By the way: do you already know the option "Open document in second Document Browser"? If you use this option, you may have a second window with a text, that may be placed on a second monitor, and that is kept there if you are scrolling through a results list and as long as you don't use internal document links.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

22.01.2016, 15:11

Thank you for your suggestion about the second document browser, I am aware of this feature.
The back button is one natural way of partly achieving what I would like MAXQDA to do. I do however find that there is something non-natural about the current workflow.
Another example of this is if I create a new document; Lets say I get an idea from working on a document either reading a pdf or writing on a text document. I then decide to create a new document- This causes the current document to be replaced by the new document. This is not a natural workflow, at least when compared to other text editors or browsers. I thus acknowledge the "back button" as a useful feature, but only a half solution;)

Kind Regards
Peter
hibmathbergen

Return to Technical Questions