lexical search method to exclude certain paragraphs

11.10.2015, 03:24

Dear experts -

I have interview data (54 interviews) formatted in paragraphs, alternating my name and the participant's pseudonym, like this:

Justin: How about the mobile? You said you get text messages from your team.

Jackson: Yeah, yeah. So, look I mean, we use that quite a bit as well. But, you know, text messages often as well.

I want to use MAXQDA to autocode paragraphs for occurrences of 'instant messaging' or 'IM' but I want to exclude paragraphs that contain my speech -- I am only interested in what my participants said on this topic, not my opening question(s) to them.

So I am wondering: is it possible to do this? Or would it be best to conduct lexical search, apply autocoding, then manually remove all the coded segments relating to my questions, thus leaving all the segments spoken by the participant? Or perhaps there is another method (that I am not aware of) to achieve this outcome?

Thank you in advance.

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

Re: lexical search method to exclude certain paragraphs

11.10.2015, 03:43

Dear experts -

Well, I followed the method below, but I keen to know if there are other options that are more efficient or that may reflect different nuances for analysis.

My method:

1. Create extended lexical search, for whole words across activated documents, with parameters: instant mess* AND NOT Justin.
  1. Inspect the search results to verify these are the target segments.
  1. Autocode using existing code. Apply autocode at paragraph level.
  1. Activate new code and all interview documents to review the retrieved segments.

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

12.10.2015, 09:53

Dear Justin,

many thanks for your request. I think that your chosen method has restrictions because the extended lexical search can't limit to paragraphs, but only to sentences. So I suggest to use the following procedure:

1. Use the normal lexical search and search for all names of your participants followed by a ":" and or combined, like this:
Jackson:
Mandy:
Angela:

2. Autcode the results with +/- 0 paragraphs with the new code "Interviewee"

3. Activate the documents you like together with the code "Interviewee" to retrieve only the answers of an interviewee.

4. Perform a lexical search for "instant mess*" that is limited to the "Retrieved Segments".

Hope, this helps!
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

13.10.2015, 23:10

Stefan -

Thank you for this guidance. I tried this method in my project this morning and it works well. Overall I can see benefit in coding the participant/interviewee speech so that in future analyses I can retrieve only those segments and then search within retrieved segments. I appreciate your help!

Kindest regards

Justin
~Justin
justinfield5

Return to Technical Questions