Exporting Data to Excel - Consolidating Data

30.08.2015, 19:44

Hello, I am having an issue exporting data to excel. I would like to export data into excel so that the codes are listed as various columns for the same rows of data. Basically, when viewing retrieved data within maxqda or excel, I would like to view all codes in a separate column for each code, rather than see all instances of codes in one column marked 'code.'

For example, say I did a qualitative interview with 4 people named Ali, Beena, Carol and Dave. So I have 4 activated documents named Ali, Beena, Carol and Dave, and my activated codes are Gender, Age, Family Background, and Religion. Let's say some of the codes, like religion, are qualitative and have varying answers.

When I export to excel, I would like the retrieved codes to be displayed across as columns while the various documents are displayed in rows. So, for example, the entries under the "Name" column would be Ali, Beena, Carol and Dave and displayed as rows, while Gender, Age, Family Background and Religion would be displayed as Columns, rather than a single column marked 'Code' which is what I see.

When I export retrieved variables to excel I am getting the codes listed one single column, one after the other, rather than side by side. It would be an easy fix just to copy and paste codes into a new column to match up to the rows, however, some of our interviewees did not answer certain questions, therefore the blank answers are not retrieved. Thus, copy and paste in this instance does not work as some rows are missing for certain codes and they do not match up. I have tried consolidating data in excel by plotting the data on different worksheets and then merging the worksheets but you cannot consolidate text data in excel.

I am not sure if what I wrote above made sense, but any guidance would be helpful. If anyone needs more clarity on this I can upload images as needed.
vancity

Re: Exporting Data to Excel - Consolidating Data

31.08.2015, 09:13

Hallo vancity,

maybe the Segment Matrix, which can be entered via the Code-Matrix-Browser offers the functionality you are searching for:

1: Activate the codes and documents in question.
2. Open the Code-Matrix-Browser (e. g. with Ctrl + B or via the menu: "Visual Tools > Code Matrix Browser).
3. Open the Segment Matrix (click on the fourth icon in the Code-Matrix-Browser toolbar).

This will open Excel and export a matrix in which the columns equal the documents and the rows the different codes, so that each cells gives you the segment(s) of each answer.

Reading about the kind of codes you have assigned, I wonder whether it might suit you better to use document variables instead of codes/codings for assigning such traits as gender, age, family background or religion. You can find more information about document variables in the online tutorial: http://www.maxqda.com/max11-tutorial/j- ... y-variable
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,

Katrin Kleemann
Katrin Kleemann

Re: Exporting Data to Excel - Consolidating Data

06.09.2015, 05:23

Hello Katrin,

Thank you so much for your response! I followed your suggestions (I am using the mac version 11.2.1 so some of the commands were different). I was able to export as you suggested using the 'quote matrix' function once I opened up the code matrix browser. There was no segment matrix function in the mac version it seems, but 'quote matrix,' which was the third icon from the left, gave me the same information. I'm posting a photograph of the code matrix toolbar in case anyone has a similar query.

The information came out in excel with documents (individual people) as columns and code variables (age, gender, religion, other open-ended questions) as rows. I was able to easily transpose the data in excel so that documents were in rows and the code variables as columns, which is what we were hoping for. I think code variables is working well so far for this particular project as many of the questions are open-ended, and, after your suggestion, I was able to figure out how to export the data in the way we were hoping. I am looking into the tutorial you suggested as well as the manual to learn more about document variables for future use.

Thank you again for your prompt response and assistance!

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 9.15.27 PM.png
Quote Matrix Function in Maxqda for Mac 11.2.1 - third icon from left. Exports to Excel so that each segment corresponds to a different cell.
Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 9.15.27 PM.png (16.35 KiB) Viewed 14498 times
vancity

Return to Technical Questions