Sharing a project in a Dropbox folder

20.11.2014, 13:50

Hello
I understand that Maxqda doesn't allow for Google Doc style multi-person simultaneous editing, and that's fine.
But I was wondering (and couldn't find previous discussion): If I save my Maxqda project in a Dropbox folder which I then share with my colleague, who also has Maxqda installed on her computer, is there a reason to think this might not work ok? Obviously we'd need not to work on the project on different computers at the same time (which is the case with any shared document in Dropbox).
Or perhaps people have best practices for when two or more researchers are coding the same texts?
Many thanks,
Nicholas
nicholasjohn

Re: Sharing a project in a Dropbox folder

26.11.2014, 11:21

Hello Nicholas,

we are sorry for this late reply. For some reason we missed the entry at first.

It is no problem to work with Dropbox in general. As you have summarized, the only thing to keep in mind is that the project should not be opened on different computers at the same time. This would lead to incongruences of the data bases and thus to crashes of the program. Therefore, we would suggest that you save a copy of the project in the Dropbox folder before you start working on it to indicate that another person is working on the project at a time.
Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,

Katrin Kleemann
Katrin Kleemann

Re: Sharing a project in a Dropbox folder

07.01.2015, 12:16

Yes you should save a copy while working on the project. Nicely said nicholasjohn.
RussSilva

Return to Technical Questions