discontinuous segment code

17.07.2014, 18:25

Hi,
I am new in the forum and using MaxQda,
I am trying to code a segment that would be formed by sentences and words discontinuous, but in the same paragraph.
I would like to appear everything in the same segment coded. Is this possible?
Thanks!
Beatriz1980

Re: discontinuous segment code

18.07.2014, 10:03

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm pretty sure what you describe isn't possible. You can ascribe each word to the same code, but this will generate a new coded segment for each word.

I'm not sure how useful the tally of coded segments actually is. It would be interesting to learn how different users apply them. Personally, I don't really see any value in the tally - in fact in took a while for me to realise that the number of coded segments didn't equate to the number of codes. Sadly, there is no way of getting a simple tally of codes in maxqda without doing a manual count.

I don't know if this helps, but here's hoping it does…

A.
sherlob

Re: discontinuous segment code

29.07.2014, 10:48

Hi Beatriz1980,

sherlob is right: there is no way to create one coded segments that "drops" parts of the text. You could code it all at once and create a dummy code "ignore" that you can attach to all the parts you don't want to integrate.

If you right click in the grey area you can choose the option "color-coded text" which highlights each coded segment.

Alternatively you might be interested in the Summary function of MAXQDA: after you have coded segments you are able to summarize all coded segments for a document. Please see the manual for detailled information:
http://www.maxqda.com/support/help/maxq ... rygrid.htm

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions