Analysis using only parent code

13.03.2014, 20:31

Hi,

I have realized that in the code system, sections coded with a sub-code are not automatically counted in it's parent code. For example, If I have the code "employment issues" with sub-codes "low wages", "lack of jobs", and "not getting paid", every time I code something as "low wages" it adds to that code frequency but not to the parent code "employment issues" code frequency. Is there a way to change this for analysis. So if I wanted to retrieve all segments that discuss employment issues and ignore the sub-codes is there a way to do that? I want to be able to retrieve segments/run analysis with everything that was labeled as an employment issue and not have it be defined or divided by the sub-code.

Thanks for the help!
jciccolini

Re: Analysis using only parent code

13.03.2014, 20:41

Hi,

maybe these hints help:

- if you activate documents and you activate a code incl. its subcodes MAXQDA will display the retrieved segments in the "Retrieved segments" windows. If you activate a code by holding the ctrl / cmd key and click on a code, MAXQDA will activate the subcodes automatically.

- if you double click on the icon "subcodes" in the status bar, you only need to activate the upper code and MAXQDA will include the subocdes in the retrieval automatically.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

16.04.2016, 18:03

Is there a way to automate or turn off & on upcoming from child to parent across all codes to avoid manually doing so?

Debbie
fikile

16.04.2016, 18:36

Hi again,

I think jciccolini & I are asking a different question than your answer pertains to, Stefan. Your instructions allow us to activate parent & child codes together but we want to count occurrences of sub-coded segments in the parent code. What I am trying to do is to show the number of documents ('count hits per document only once') for higher level parent codes, for which the parent codes need to include segments of lower level codes.

My previous comment does not apply as I hadn't yet realized that we were talking about 2 different questions.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone may have.

Debbie Miller
fikile

18.04.2016, 10:29

Hi Debbie,

Many thanks for your post. I am not sure, if I understand you right and to prevent a misunderstanding, I would kindly ask you to add an example.

The sentence I am not clear about is the following:
for which the parent codes need to include segments of lower level codes.

Do you want to "aggregate" the subcodes to the parent code and to count the parent code only once for a document, ignoring how often a subcode or the parent code has been assigend to the document?

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA team,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions