Importing and applying codes from spreadhseet

05.03.2014, 00:41

I have an Excel data extract from a knowledge management repository, and wish to convert the tags that users added into MaxQDA codes.
Each row is a record and the columns include the knowledge article title, a context, recommendations, and a field in which tags delimited by semi-colon (;) are stored and which users have inputted to categorize the knowledge article in that record.
I would like to convert all those tag words to codes and at the same time apply them to the record.
So for example, if the cell content is "project; bed management; enterprise", then I would like the entire row to be coded with "project", "bed management", and "enterprise".

I have tried by importing them as codes, but that did not have the results that I expected.

Any suggestions?
mloxton

Re: Importing and applying codes from spreadhseet

10.03.2014, 09:51

Hi,

this is an interesting question. I think the best way to do this would be to import the spreadsheet via the function "Documents > Import documents from spreadsheet".

MAXQDA will create a document for each row which means that each record will be saved as a single document.
In a next step you can search for each single tag word. MAXQDA will present a list of hits. There is a button on the top of the list that is called "Autocode with new code". With this function you can code + - x paragraphs before and after the hit with a new code that uses the same name as the tag you have searched for.

I think there is no faster way to solve this issue ...

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

Re: Importing and applying codes from spreadhseet

17.03.2014, 19:03

Thanks, that is helpful
mloxton

Return to Technical Questions