Updating changes to the code system on past douments

05.06.2013, 15:15

My team has made some changes to the code system (deleted some codes, edited, merged, etc.)...how do I go back to previously coded documents and update the code system. If I save the code system and use the "import" feature it shows TWO SETS of code system...the one that had been used AND the imported one.

Thank you in advance for your help.
MandiHardy

Re: Updating changes to the code system on past douments

09.08.2013, 09:14

Hi Mandi,

sorry for answering late here in the forum - there was a bug in the forum site and we had problems to see all entries. I think you could solve the problems you had via our online support, but I will give some hints here, too:

It maybe a hard issue if you work in a team and someone changes the code system or it shapes out that changes are necessarry. Usually in this case the teamwork functions of MAXQDA may be helpful here. MAXQDA differs between two kinds of teamwork functions: 1. Merging projects and 2. Teamwork Export and Import for documents

1. Merging projects
This procedure can be found in the menue "Project > Merge projects". All documents from the second project are integrated into the first project, including all codes and informations about coded segments. If a code from the second project exists, it will be created in the first project.
This procedure is helpful if you have the same or nearly the same code system and several projects with different documents.

2. Teamwork Export and Import for documents
This procedure can be opened with a right click on a document (or document group). If you choose Teamwork Export MAXQDA creates a file that contains all coding information, variables and memos of the document and saves the whole information in one file. If you choose Teamwork Import MAXQDA integrates the saved information into the chosen document.
This procedure is helpful if two or more people work on the same documents.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

16.08.2013, 03:26

Thank you for your response.

I attempted to use the teamwork export and input feature; however, I only got a copy of the codes with a 0 indicated for number of times it was used. No documents imported. I attempted several times.

The problem I have is that I had two coders. Each coder worked on the same document. To view all the codes one has to "toggle" (see photo) between each coder. We want the file to show 1 coder. We want the work that the 2 coders did to become 1.

Coder 1 + coder 2 = Coder 3

Is there a tutorial link?
Attachments
coder1.jpg
coder1.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
MandiHardy

18.08.2013, 19:15

Hi,

I am not sure, if I understand the first sentence correctly: If you use the Teamwork Import and Export feature you do it for the same document(s), so there are no new documents imported into the project file.
Maybe this tip will help: If you right click on a document MAXQDA presents a dialog in which you can choose several options. Be sure that you choose a document as the target by clicking in the cell at the right top (see the screenshot).

To your screenshot: MAXQDA will keep the authors that have created the codings after teamwork, so it may work to deactivate the option "Only user:" completely to see the coded segments of both coders.

You can find a tutorial for teamwork here: http://www.maxqda.com/max11-tutorial/o-teamwork

Best regards,
Stefan
Attachments
TeamworkImportTargetMAXQDA.png
Teamwork Import: Choose target document
TeamworkImportTargetMAXQDA.png (19.7 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

Return to Technical Questions