Interpreting coding data?

27.02.2013, 09:43

Is there a way to determine the percent a certain code makes up of the entire document (not just the percent of codes in the entire document)? Also can you tell me how they calculate the percentage of the code? When I click on an individual code it gives me a count for area and percent coverage but I do not know how that was calculated. Any assistance you can provide would be mush appreciated!
deanla

Re: Interpreting coding data?

27.02.2013, 12:36

Hi,

the column "Coverage" in the "Overview of retrieved segments" window contains the information you are looking for.

In the manual for MAXQDA 11 the columns with percentage and area are described in detail for the different document types. You find this information on page 195f.
http://www.maxqda.com/download/manuals/ ... al_eng.pdf

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

27.02.2013, 13:10

Does that apply to MAXQDA 10 as well? Also is there a way to find the percent of a code in all of the documents? When I bring up the frequency of codes it gives me the percent of all coding (which to me seems like the percent that that code makes up of all the codes but I want to know the percent that code makes up of all the documents including the non-coded parts). Finally, Is there a way to find the percent of codes in just some of the documents? Thanks so much for the help!
deanla

27.02.2013, 16:39

Hi,

this applies to MAXQDA 10 as well, yes.

There is no automatic way to find the percent that a code covers in all or some documents, but you can calculate this manually:

a) In the "Overview of retrieved segments" window you'll find the column area which gives you the number of characters coded with the specific code. Sum up this column.

b) In the "List of document variables" you'll find a column called "Bytes" which gives you the information, how many characters a document contains (for RTF text only, not PDF text). Sum up the column for all documents or for some.

Divide a / b and you should have the information you are looking for.

Best regards,
Stefan
Dr Stefan Rädiker
Training, Coaching, Analysis for Research & Evaluation
MAXQDA Professional Trainer
Stefan Rädiker

27.02.2013, 17:05

Thanks so much for the help!
deanla

Return to Technical Questions