Nothing appearing in the Retrieved Segments Window

01.02.2013, 20:29

I've been using MaxQDA for a few years on different projects. While I'm not a sophisticated user (lots of features unused) I have gotten the basics down. Code text in documents then when ready for analysis activate codes, activate documents, review in the retrieved windows section. From there I often add weights and comments before exporting to excel to refine for use in papers.

I'm having a frustrating problem today though. I have two sets of documents in this project and both are in the same database. After working with the first set of documents this morning I was ready to work on my second set of documents. I activated the documents and the codes specific to those documents and noting appears in the retrieved segment window. I can click on the code and get an overview window to pop up but not in the retrieved segment window.

On the bottom toolbar I have the following icons: 57 documents (red), 11 active codes, 0 coded segments, default weight of 50, nothing next to the subcode icon, and for weights 1-100, sorting by weight descending, and fx or combination (standard analysis).

I have tried switching back to the previous set of documents but that doesn't work. I've tried the Reset User Settings Tool and that didn't do anything (found it through a google search).

I'm assuming I accidentally changed some setting and that is the problem but I have no idea what else to try? What have I done?

Thanks for any and all help!
rkutzfla

Re: Nothing appearing in the Retrieved Segments Window

01.02.2013, 20:33

I went back and reviewed every single button and just found a "Reset Retrieval Function" button on the top tool bar. Pressed it and all is well. Figured rather than deleting this message though I'd leave it available to help anyone else who blunders into a mess. It took me quite awhile to fix this problem....
rkutzfla

Re: Nothing appearing in the Retrieved Segments Window

03.02.2013, 20:06

Thank you for leaving your post. I was having the identical problem yesterday also -- that's why I registered for the forum. Yesterday was the first time I used the trial version and that problem made me wonder if I should go with a different program. It was finally resolved when I closed the program and opened it again, but your solution sounds much better.
reulibar

Return to Technical Questions